Lambda fibers are designed for illuminating large volumes of tissue in a more homogeneous way than standard optical fibers. At the same time, the special tapered optical fiber from OptogeniX minimizes tissue displacement and damage upon insertion into the brain. Similar to traditional fiber stubs, Lambda fibers are designed to be implanted for chronic experimentation.
Key Features of Using the Lambda Fibers for Optogenetics
- Uniform Illumination
- Minimized Invasiveness
- Versatile Light Delivery
- Simple Operation
Lambda fibers can be used in two operating modes:
1. Whole Taper Operation
- Light is emitted from the total available active length of the taper. Whole taper emission can be achieved using the PlexBright LED Modules coupled to the fiber stub.
2. Site-Selective Operation- COMING SOON
- Light is emitted from a sub-portion of the taper. It is possible to modulate the illuminated volume and/or out-couple different wavelengths at different depths without probe movements using a specialized launching system.
Lambda fibers are implantable fiber stubs that can be customized for your experiment. Match the numerical aperture and core size to your current experiment to incorporate these fiber stubs into your existing experimental design.
|Fiber optical material |
|Pure silica or glass|
|Fiber numerical aperture (NA)|
|Untapered core diameter (µm)|
|Untapered total diameter (µm)|
|Active length (mm) 5% tolerance)|
0.5, 1.0, 1.5
0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5
|0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5|
|Implant Length (mm)||from 0 to 20|
1.25mm Ceramic Ferrule
2.5mm Ceramic Ferrule
1.25mm Stainless Steel Ferrule
2.5mm Stainless Steel Ferrule
Choosing the Right Lambda Fibers
- Choose the implant length that matches your current fiber stub length
- Choose an activation length which best estimates the size of your target area
- Pisanello M, Pisano F, Sileo L, Maglie E, Bellistri E, Spagnolo B, Mandelbaum G, Sabatini BL, De Vittorio M, Pisanello F. Tailoring light delivery for optogenetics by modal demultiplexing in tapered optical fibers. Scientific Reports. 2018 Mar 13;8(1):4467.
- Pisanello F, Mandelbaum G, Pisanello M, Oldenburg IA, Sileo L, Markowitz JE, Peterson RE, Della Patria A, Haynes TM, Emara MS, Spagnolo B. Dynamic illumination of spatially restricted or large brain volumes via a single tapered optical fiber. Nature neuroscience. 2017 Aug;20(8):1180.
- Vogt N. Neuroscience: Tailoring optogenetic illumination through tapered fibers. Nature Methods. 2017 Jul 28;14(8):763.