Optogenetic Stimulation Solution
The PlexBright® Optogenetic Stimulation System provides an innovative, economical, and turnkey approach to performing acute, chronic, or in vitro optogenetic stimulation.
The PlexBright System is comprised of the following primary components:
- PlexBright Drivers: The software-driven PlexBright 4 Channel Optogenetic Controller running PlexBright Radiant™ Software, or the PlexBright LD-1 Single Channel LED Driver. Both options provide precise control over LED module light intensity and stimulation patterns.
- PlexBright Radiant Software: The sophisticated, pattern generating optogenetics program for the operation of both LEDs and/or lasers via one (or multiple) PlexBright 4 Channel Optogenetic Controller(s).
- PlexBright LED Modules: Super-intensity LED light sources provide outstanding light stability and pulse characteristics. Multiple fixed-wavelength modules are available and span effective targeting of the most popular opsins including channelrhodopsins (ChRs), archaerhodopsins (Arch) and halorhodopsins (NpHR).
- PlexBright Commutators: Three commutator options designed for animals as small as mice are available, one for use with tethered optogenetics-only research (the PlexBright Dual LED Commutator), and two, passive, mixed-mode commutators for simultaneous use during neural recording, (The PlexBright Dual LED + 16 Channel Commutator and the NEW Carousel Commutator). All support up to two uniquely engineered, high-intensity PlexBright Compact LED Modules easily interchanged in seconds.
- PlexBright Optical Patch Cables: High performance optical patch cables offer a line of three stimulation tips that include Bare Fiber for acute or in vitro use, LC Ferrule for chronic use with small animals, and FC Ferrule providing additional strength for chronic experiments with stronger animals. Additionally, the PlexBright Optical Patch Cables are available in various lengths with optional, flexible, stainless steel jacketing for reinforcement.
- PlexBright Fiber Stub Implants: Ideal for chronic in vivo stimulation, they are available in two fiber diameters, two ferrule sizes, and a range of lengths for flexibility in targeting desired regions of the brain and for size of the animal.
PlexBright Starter Kits offer the initial products to get started and a 10% discount when purchased as a kit. Kits are available in four experimental designs and with either driver (the economical kit with the LD-1 Single Channel LED Driver or the fully functional kit with the 4 Channel Optogenetic Controller with Radiant Software). Starter Kit details are available on the PlexBright Quote Request Forms.
PlexBright Quote Request Forms (also specific to the experimental set-up) include the Starter Kit itemization and individual parts for selection. The forms are available on the Resources tab of any PlexBright product webpage, as well as on the Documentation page under the PlexBright header.
The PlexBright System may be operated as a stand-alone stimulation system or enhanced by combining it with the following elements of the Advanced In Vivo Neurophysiology Solution and/or the Behavioral Research Solution for Electrophysiology.
- OmniPlex® D Neural Data Acquisition System: Plexon’s flagship data acquisition system, available in 16 to 512 channel configurations.
- CineLyzer™ Behavioral Research Systems: The industry’s most advanced approach to digital video recording, position tracking and behavioral analysis for freely moving and behaving animal experiments – with or without neural data acquisition synchrony.
- A wide variety of standard and customizable electrodes.
- Low-noise electrode interface headstages for various electrode and animal combinations.
- The world’s most trusted offline neural signal (spike) processing software, Offline Sorter™.
- One of the most recognized neural data analysis programs, NeuroExplorer®.
- Lafayette Instrument’s operant and touch screen chambers.
The equipment of Plexon’s PlexBright Optogenetic Solution may be purchased together or separately. It is the newest solution in the Plexon neurotechnology family and will continue to be enhanced as it expands into a broad offering that is fully integrated with the extended family of Plexon systems, subsystems, components and software. We invite you to be a part of shaping its direction. Contact us with any ideas or needs that your lab may have in this area.
Why choose Plexon’s PlexBright Optogenetic Solution?
There are many reasons to select Plexon’s optogenetic solution to support your research. Here are a few to consider:
- Economical entry into optogenetic research – an ideal offering to support broad experimentation and refinement of knowledge and/or technique at a very low introductory price point.
- Exceptional light intensities and stability – highly effective penetration into brain tissue with more stable and higher frequency pulse patterns compared with a laser source.
- Fast response time – sub-millisecond response times.
- Compact size – the overall size and footprint are significantly smaller than what is required for an appropriate laser system set-up.
- Significantly lower cost – lower cost approach by an order of magnitude when compared to adequate laser systems – stretching budgets further and expanding research opportunities.
- Effortless operant chamber integration – pre-established integration configurations with Lafayette chambers.
- Lifetime, world-class support – lifetime access to Plexon’s industry-leading Technical Support team is included with the purchase of any Plexon software or equipment.