The OmniPlex® Neural Data Acquisition Systems rely on two important software programs: PlexControl, which is the main user interface, and OmniPlex Server, known as the system’s “software engine”. Together, they are referred to as the OmniPlex Software.
**OmniPlex Release 16 now available. Learn More about OmniPlex Release 16**
PlexControl is the powerful online spike sorting software for the OmniPlex D System that has a flexible and customizable main user interface. The software represents the next generation in signal visualization and easy-to-use spike waveform classification methods, and allows the researcher to interact with the system. It features easy-to-use signal visualization, spike detection and sorting algorithms. Many spike sorting methods are available including: box, template, line, band sorting in time/voltage space and contour sorting in PCA feature space. A spike waveform snapshot of user-defined size is automatically acquired on each channel by the PlexControl program, and may be viewed at any time to revise spike sorting parameters as necessary. Units can be defined based on either snapshots of the live data or by “drawing” directly on the live data in real time. Each method may be used to sort single electrodes, stereotrodes and tetrodes online.
Continuous spike, field potential and wide-band signals are conveniently displayed in PlexControl’s flexible, customizable user interface along with detected spike waveform segments and their associated two-dimensional (2D) and three-dimensional (3D) feature space clusters for online spike sorting. Additionally, all three data types, as well as thresholded spike waveform segments and digital event data, may be recorded to disk on a per-channel basis.
The OmniPlex Server is the “engine” under PlexControl. It visually displays each of the various hardware devices (e.g., headstages, amplifier) and software modules (e.g., spike and LFP separators, thresholding, sorting) of the system. It acquires data from the OmniPlex chassis and amplifiers, sends commands to those devices, and implements the software digital signal processing (DSP) for OmniPlex’s filtering, spike detection and spike sorting functions. OmniPlex Server is based on a modular, extensible framework – or topology – hardware and software devices, which are interconnected in a dataflow topology that utilizes a topology wizard to enable users to easily define custom configurations without tedious low-level editing.
The OmniPlex Software is compatible with Plexon’s MATLAB® and C/C++ APIs and Client Development Kits (SDKs), and the online NeuroExplorer® link – enabling low latency, closed-loop experiments and online analysis of live data. It can also be further enhanced by Plexon’s PlexNet protocol supporting remote online data access across any TCP/IP or UDP network, and PlexUtil for modifying the OmniPlex Software output .PLX data files. Additionally, flexible digital filtering functionality in OmniPlex is also incorporated in the Offline Sorter program, enabling the user to apply the same filters offline to continuously sampled data as is used online.
OmniPlex Software, arrives pre-loaded on the control computer with the purchase of any OmniPlex System. A demo version of the OmniPlex Software, which can be run without the OmniPlex hardware, is available at the top of this page.
If you have additional questions, a Plexon Sales Engineer would be more than happy to discuss them with you.
|Features||Specifications and Options||Remarks|
|Recording file formats||Plexon (.PL2, .PLX)|
|Spike detection methods||Voltage threshold|
|Spike sorting methods||– Manual methods include: template,
line sorting, band sorting, box sorting,
2-D polygon sorting
– Automatic methods include: template,
band sorting, 2-D polygon sorting.
|Features available for sorting||– Projections onto principal components
– For stereotrode and tetrode data,
|Views available||– Wideband continuous
– Spike continuous
– Field potentials
– Spike waveforms
– 2D PCA clusters
– 3D PCA clusters
– Stereotrode and tetrode features
– Spike activity
– Firing rate
– Sorted units
– Peak histogram
– NEW 3D spike sample histogram
|Electrode support||Single, stereotrode and tetrode||Acquire and online sorting.|
|Activation requirement||Plexon version-specific hardware license key||When OmniPlex® D is ordered, it comes with 2 license keys. Additional keys may be purchased.|
Includes features up to version 1.15
Post date April 17, 2017
Post date June 1, 2017
Post date March 14, 2017
Technical Specs and Data Sheets
Research Articles with Video
Jacobson, Tara K., Jonathan W. Ho, Brendon W. Kent, Fang-Chi Yang, and Rebecca D. Burwell. “Automated Visual Cognitive Tasks for Recording Neural Activity Using a Floor Projection Maze.” JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments) 84 (2014): e51316-e51316.
- Anand S, Desai V, Alsmadi N, Kanneganti A, Nguyen DH, Tran M, Patil L, Vasudevan S, Xu C, Hong Y, Cheng J. Asymmetric Sensory-Motor Regeneration of Transected Peripheral Nerves Using Molecular Guidance Cues. Scientific reports. 2017 Oct 30;7(1):14323.
- Babapoor-Farrokhran S, Vinck M, Womelsdorf T, Everling S. Theta and beta synchrony coordinate frontal eye fields and anterior cingulate cortex during sensorimotor mapping. Nature communications. 2017 Feb 7;8:13967.
- Beckert MV, Pavão R, Peña JL. Distinct Correlation Structure Supporting a Rate-Code for Sound Localization in the Owl’s Auditory Forebrain. eNeuro. 2017 May 1;4(3):ENEURO-0144.
- Bichot NP, Heard MT, DeGennaro EM, Desimone R. A source for feature-based attention in the prefrontal cortex. Neuron. 2015 Nov 18;88(4):832-44.
- Bueno-Junior LS, Simon NW, Wegener MA, Moghaddam B. Repeated Nicotine Strengthens Gamma Oscillations in the Prefrontal Cortex and Improves Visual Attention. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 Jul;42(8):1590.
- dos Santos Lima GZ, Lopes SR, Prado TL, Lobao-Soares B, do Nascimento GC, Fontenele-Araujo J, Corso G. Predictability of arousal in mouse slow wave sleep by accelerometer data. PloS one. 2017 May 18;12(5):e0176761.
- Ferroni CG, Maranesi M, Livi A, Lanzilotto M, Bonini L. Comparative Performance of Linear Multielectrode Probes and Single-Tip Electrodes for Intracortical Microstimulation and Single-Neuron Recording in Macaque Monkey. Frontiers in systems neuroscience. 2017 Nov 15;11:84.
- Li Q, Ko H, Qian ZM, Yan LY, Chan DC, Arbuthnott G, Ke Y, Yung WH. Refinement of learned skilled movement representation in motor cortex deep output layer. Nature communications. 2017 Jun 9;8:15834.
- Liang L, Oline SN, Kirk JC, Schmitt LI, Komorowski RW, Remondes M, Halassa MM. Scalable, lightweight, integrated and quick-to-assemble (SLIQ) hyperdrives for functional circuit dissection. Frontiers in neural circuits. 2017 Feb 13;11:8.
- Mastro KJ, Zitelli KT, Willard AM, Leblanc KH, Kravitz AV, Gittis AH. Cell-specific pallidal intervention induces long-lasting motor recovery in dopamine-depleted mice. Nature neuroscience. 2017 Jun;20(6):815.
- Ognjanovski N, Schaeffer S, Wu J, Mofakham S, Maruyama D, Zochowski M, Aton SJ. Parvalbumin-expressing interneurons coordinate hippocampal network dynamics required for memory consolidation. Nature communications. 2017 Apr 6;8:15039.
- Pons C, Mazade R, Jin J, Dul MW, Zaidi Q, Alonso JM. Neuronal mechanisms underlying differences in spatial resolution between darks and lights in human vision. Journal of vision. 2017 Dec 1;17(14):5-.
- Wood J, Simon NW, Koerner FS, Kass RE, Moghaddam B. Networks of VTA neurons encode real-time information about uncertain numbers of actions executed to earn a reward. Frontiers in behavioral neuroscience. 2017 Aug 8;11:140.
- Wu D, Deng H, Xiao X, Zuo Y, Sun J, Wang Z. Persistent Neuronal Activity in Anterior Cingulate Cortex Correlates with Sustained Attention in Rats Regardless of Sensory Modality. Scientific reports. 2017 Feb 23;7:43101.
- Xue L, Huang D, Wang T, Hu Q, Chai X, Li L, Chen Y. Dynamic modulation of the perceptual load on microsaccades during a selective spatial attention task. Scientific reports. 2017 Nov 28;7(1):16496.
- Yang Q, Hu YD, Wang XF, Zheng FS. Dl-3n-butylphthalide reduces epileptiform activity through GluA2-lacking calcium-permeable AMPARs in epilepsy models. Oncotarget. 2017 Nov 17;8(58):98242.
- Zhang Y, Gao B, Zheng F, Lu S, Li Y, Xiong Y, Yang Q, Yang Y, Fu P, Xiao F, Wang X. The Phosphodiesterase 10A Inhibitor PF-2545920 Enhances Hippocampal Excitability and Seizure Activity Involving the Upregulation of GluA1 and NR2A in Post-synaptic Densities. Frontiers in molecular neuroscience. 2017 Apr 7;10:100.
- Dolzani SD, Baratta MV, Amat J, Agster KL, Saddoris MP, Watkins LR, Maier SF. Activation of a Habenulo–Raphe Circuit Is Critical for the Behavioral and Neurochemical Consequences of Uncontrollable Stress in the Male Rat. eNeuro. 2016 Sep 1;3(5):ENEURO-0229.
- Gamble-George JC, Baldi R, Halladay L, Kocharian A, Hartley N, Silva CG, Roberts H, Haymer A, Marnett LJ, Holmes A, Patel S. Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition reduces stress-induced affective pathology. Elife. 2016;5.
- Giustino TF, Fitzgerald PJ, Maren S. Fear expression suppresses medial prefrontal cortical firing in rats. PloS one. 2016 Oct 24;11(10):e0165256.
- Lanzilotto M, Livi A, Maranesi M, Gerbella M, Barz F, Ruther P, Fogassi L, Rizzolatti G, Bonini L. Extending the cortical grasping network: pre-supplementary motor neuron activity during vision and grasping of objects. Cerebral Cortex. 2016 Dec 1;26(12):4435-49.
- Li JJ, Li YH, Gong HQ, Liang PJ, Zhang PM, Lu QC. The spatiotemporal dynamics of phase synchronization during epileptogenesis in amygdala-Kindling Mice. PloS one. 2016 Apr 21;11(4):e0153897.
- Li S, Li J, Li Z. An improved unscented kalman filter based decoder for cortical brain-machine interfaces. Frontiers in neuroscience. 2016 Dec 22;10:587.
- Marcinkiewcz CA, Mazzone CM, D’Agostino G, Halladay LR, Hardaway JA, DiBerto JF, Navarro M, Burnham N, Cristiano C, Dorrier CE, Tipton GJ. Serotonin engages an anxiety and fear-promoting circuit in the extended amygdala. Nature. 2016 Sep;537(7618):97.
- Wang W, Wang X, Chen L, Zhang Y, Xu Z, Liu J, Jiang G, Li J, Zhang X, Wang K, Wang J. The microRNA miR-124 suppresses seizure activity and regulates CREB1 activity. Expert reviews in molecular medicine. 2016 Jan;18.
- Yang Y, Wang ZH, Jin S, Gao D, Liu N, Chen SP, Zhang S, Liu Q, Liu E, Wang X, Liang X. Opposite monosynaptic scaling of BLP–vCA1 inputs governs hopefulness-and helplessness-modulated spatial learning and memory. Nature communications. 2016 Jul 14;7:11935.
- Aravamuthan BR, Shoykhet M. Long-term increase in coherence between the basal ganglia and motor cortex after asphyxial cardiac arrest and resuscitation in developing rats. Pediatric research. 2015 Oct;78(4):371.
- Bigdeli S, Dettloff RO, Frank CW, Davis RW, Crosby LD. A simple method for encapsulating single cells in alginate microspheres allows for direct PCR and whole genome amplification. PloS one. 2015 Feb 17;10(2):e0117738.
- Bukalo O, Pinard CR, Silverstein S, Brehm C, Hartley ND, Whittle N, Colacicco G, Busch E, Patel S, Singewald N, Holmes A. Prefrontal inputs to the amygdala instruct fear extinction memory formation. Science advances. 2015 Jul 1;1(6):e1500251.
- De Jesús-Cortés H, Miller AD, Britt JK, DeMarco AJ, De Jesús-Cortés M, Stuebing E, Naidoo J, Vázquez-Rosa E, Morlock L, Williams NS, Ready JM. Protective efficacy of P7C3-S243 in the 6-hydroxydopamine model of Parkinson’s disease. NPJ Parkinson’s disease. 2015 May 21;1:15010.
- Liu J, Lee HJ, Weitz AJ, Fang Z, Lin P, Choy M, Fisher R, Pinskiy V, Tolpygo A, Mitra P, Schiff N. Frequency-selective control of cortical and subcortical networks by central thalamus. Elife. 2015;4.
- Saunders A, Oldenburg IA, Berezovskii VK, Johnson CA, Kingery ND, Elliott HL, Xie T, Gerfen CR, Sabatini BL. A direct GABAergic output from the basal ganglia to frontal cortex. Nature. 2015 May;521(7550):85.
- Song W, Truong DQ, Bikson M, Martin JH. Transspinal direct current stimulation immediately modifies motor cortex sensorimotor maps. Journal of neurophysiology. 2015 Feb 11;113(7):2801-11.
- Sullivan EM, Timi P, Hong LE, O’Donnell P. Effects of NMDA and GABA-A receptor antagonism on auditory steady-state synchronization in awake behaving rats. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2015 May 1;18(7).
- Guo S, Chen S, Zhang Q, Wang Y, Xu K, Zheng X. Optogenetic activation of the excitatory neurons expressing CaMKIIα in the ventral tegmental area upregulates the locomotor activity of free behaving rats. BioMed research international. 2014;2014.
- Li YH, Li JJ, Lu QC, Gong HQ, Liang PJ, Zhang PM. Involvement of thalamus in initiation of epileptic seizures induced by pilocarpine in mice. Neural plasticity. 2014;2014.
- Ognjanovski N, Maruyama D, Lashner N, Zochowski M, Aton SJ. CA1 hippocampal network activity changes during sleep-dependent memory consolidation. Frontiers in systems neuroscience. 2014 Apr 17;8:61.
- Jennings JH, Sparta DR, Stamatakis AM, Ung RL, Pleil KE, Kash TL, Stuber GD. Distinct extended amygdala circuits for divergent motivational states. Nature. 2013 Apr;496(7444):224.
- Navawongse R, Eichenbaum H. Distinct pathways for rule-based retrieval and spatial mapping of memory representations in hippocampal neurons. Journal of Neuroscience. 2013 Jan 16;33(3):1002-13.
- Zhao F, Li M, Qian Y, Tsien JZ. Remote measurements of heart and respiration rates for telemedicine. PloS one. 2013 Oct 8;8(10):e71384.