UT Southwestern Medical Center
UT Southwestern Medical Center is one of the 10 best large employers in the United States and among the top 5 of healthcare employers, according to the America’s Best Employers 2022 list compiled by Forbes. UTSW is also ranked as the top healthcare employer for diversity in the US according to the America’s Best Employers for Diversity 2022 list compiled by Forbes and Statista; and we are the only healthcare institution listed among the top 20 employers nationally.
The Department of Neurology at UT Southwestern Medical Center is a nationally recognized leader in the comprehensive management of neurological conditions. Our vibrant department comprises more than 75 full-time faculty in 12 subspecialty sections, supporting a spectrum of complex and innovative approaches to neurological care, a broad range of novel research programs, and a panoply of educational opportunities for trainees. The department offers access to the latest innovative treatments in one of the most rapidly advancing fields of medicine and features an Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center and a Level-4 NEAC Epilepsy Center. Through collaborations with the O’Donnell Brain Institute, the department is building state-of-the art facilities for drug and device testing and bringing current and new faculty together for collaborative research on brain disease therapy.
Position Summary & Preferred Qualifications/Experience
The lab of Dr. Vikram Shakkottai, in the Department of Neurology, is interested in alterations in function of neurons accompanying neurodegeneration, with the goal of developing symptomatic and neuroprotective treatments for cerebellar ataxia, a neurodegenerative disorder that affects speech, coordination and balance, resulting in wheelchair confinement. We use mouse models and human tissue to know whether correcting aberrant neuronal function holds promise in the treatment of these disabling disorders.
We are seeking research assistants with an undergraduate degree in the biological sciences and an interest in learning to work with mouse models of disease. We are, most importantly interested, in someone who is motivated to learn the techniques we use in the laboratory: immunofluorescence using mouse brain-tissue sections, Western blots and quantitative PCR, mouse colony management and genotyping. No prior experience in any of these techniques is necessary, but the motivation to learn, is paramount.
Experience and Education
- Master’s degree with major coursework in field of assignment and no experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree with major coursework in field of assignment and one (1) year research experience at level of Research Technician or equivalent.
- Two (2) years college with emphasis in coursework in field of assignment and four (4) years research experience including two (2) years at level of Research Technician or equivalent.
- High school graduation or GED and six (6) years research experience to include two (2) years at level of Research Technician or equivalent.
- Performs more difficult scientific and medical research work in science area such as biology, chemistry, physics, or other related scientific field. Constructs, assembles, and operates laboratory equipment and apparatus.
- Records and evaluates data obtained from work assignments for use in scientific papers.
- Collaborates with supervisor or other research personnel in preparation of scientific papers for publication.
- Reads literature and confers with supervisor concerning procedures and implementation.
- Collects and organizes research data for project reports.
- May plan for, and provide working supervision to, work of Research Technicians or other laboratory personnel of lower grade.
- Performs other duties as assigned. **Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code 51.215, which authorizes UT Southwestern to obtain criminal history record information
UT Southwestern Medical Center is committed to an educational and working environment that provides equal opportunity to all members of the University community. As an equal opportunity employer, UT Southwestern prohibits unlawful discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or veteran status.
To learn more, please visit: https://jobs.utsouthwestern.edu/why-work-here/diversity-inclusion
To apply for this job please visit jobs.utsouthwestern.edu.