Kansas State University
About This Role:
Kansas State University seeks an experienced and dynamic leader to be the Department Head of Psychological Sciences. The Department Head will lead a dynamic and high-performing unit and will provide strong leadership in the implementation of a strategic vision that will position the department as a leader in the College of Arts and Sciences, the university and the discipline of psychology. This includes further developing the external funding base of the department, fostering excellence in teaching, research, and other professional activities, and further advancing diversity in all aspects of departmental activities. Other desirable qualifications include excellent interpersonal skills, administrative and leadership experience, and a track record of securing extramural funding. Although primary responsibility for this position is administrative, the successful candidate may be encouraged to engage in teaching/advising and maintain a research program appropriate in the department.
The Department Head serves as chief administrative officer of the department and is appointed by the Dean of Arts and Sciences. The Head, with the aid of appropriate departmental committees, is responsible for recommendations for appointments, promotions, contract renewals, tenure, salary increases, and dismissals. The Head also manages the departmental budget and teaching assignments, and is the direct liaison between the department and the university administration.
The successful candidate should have credentials for appointment at the advanced associate or full professor rank, including a Ph.D. degree in Psychology, a history of high-quality teaching, and a national/international reputation for scholarship and leadership in any of the substantive sub-fields in psychology.
- PhD in Psychology, with credentials for appointment at the advanced associate or full professor rank
- A history of high-quality teaching
- A national/international reputation for scholarship and leadership in any of the substantive sub-fields in psychology
- Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- A strong track record of securing extramural funding
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Prior administrative or leadership experience
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest describing their interests, qualifications, and administrative experience
- A statement of philosophy as head and educator
- A statement of research interests
- A statement of commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for up to five professional references.
Review of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications will begin on November 15, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries may be addressed to the search committee chair, Dr. Don L. Kurtz, Kansas State University at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job please visit careers.k-state.edu.